btn toggle


Gallery » Danzig Report 48 - July, August, September 1985 » The Diele or entrance hail of the Uphagen House


A short distance down the Langgasse, on the right, we come to the Uphagen House, one of the best of the old patrician residences (Langgasse 12). It was built by Councillor Johann Uphagen in 1776. It is a characteristic Danzig ,,Dielen’ house with offices on one side and a ,,Hangestube” or elevated room above. The entrance has been carried out in rich rococo style. The magnificent manner in which the interior has been decorated and furnished presents a vivid picture of how a Danzig patrician family of that time lived. A front house, a side wing, and a square back house are enclosing a pleasant courtyard. The most thoughtful consideration has been given to the furnishing throughout, not only in the living rooms but also in the domestic quarters.

The house has been rented by the city from the heirs and is administered by a special committee.


Danzig Report Vol. 1 - Nr. 48 - July - August - September - 1985, Page 17.

Hits: 1392

Added: 17/06/2015
Copyright: 2023