DANZIG REPORT - - No. 92
Editor: John H. Bloecher, 1743 Little Creek Drive, Baltimore, MD. 21207-5230 USA
POLSKI URZAD POCZTOWY GDANSK NO. 2:
The Polish Post office at the Railway Station in Danzig
by Ewa and Hans Vogels
Between 1920 and 1939, a Polish postal service with three post offices was operating in the territory of the Free City of Danzig. The existence and the extent of the Polish postal service was, at all times, a political point of issue between Poland and the Free City. The opening of the Polish post office at the main railw ay station in the city of Danzig was no exception to this.
Until now, the literature concerning the Polish post in the Free City has told almost nothing about the Polish post office at the Hauptbahnhof. The authors who reported about this post office seem to have copied everything from one another and didn’t investigate anything for themselves. This was probably done because of an underestimation of the importance of the post office, but maybe a presupposed lack of sources providing information had some influence, too.
The underestimation is not correct, we think. The post office at the railway station played an essential role in the exchange of mail between Poland and overs eas countries, through the expedition post office in the harbor, and in the exchange of mail between Poland and the main Polish post office at the Heveliusplatz after 5 January 1925. This article tells something more about the Polish post office at the railway station.
The information is derived from documents found in the archives in Warszawa and Gdansk.
Continued on page 3
Danzig Report Nr. 92 - July - August - September - 1996, Page 1.
Copyright: 2021 Danzig.org