For the last few years, I have been attempting to record known examples and have details and/or copies of twenty items thus far. These are listed, in dated order, in the next section, with notes on - their provenance. The last two items, Nos. 19 and 20, are included for the sake of record. They are illicit souvenirs, cancelling Freie Stadt stamps, which was never permitted, prepared on the day the office closed.
It should be noted that, until 24th August 1920, letters and cards were carried free, but from then onwards, postage was ld for postcards and 2d for letters up to one ounce. Stocks of British stamps were held at the Field Post Office and had to be used on all mail other than O.H.M.S. Official business items.
a) F.P.O. H2 in Danzig - 1920. Michael Dobbs, Forces Postal History Society Newsletter #194, Winter 1987, pp. 70/1.
b) Die Feldpost derAlliierten in Deutschland nach dem Ersten Weltkrieg, 1918-1935. Werner Steven/Konrad Meyer, Braunsweig, 1988, pp112’3.
Record of Covers
1) Code A - 16th Feb. 1920 - Envelope to Preston, Lancs. Oval violet cachet: BRITISH G.H.Q., DANZIG, with signature H. Cafterall. Boxed PASSED BY CENSOR no.715 1. S. G.Auctions 10.10.74 Langley sale, Lot 181. Now in Hennig collection.
2) Code B - 20th Feb. 1920 - Postcard to Bury St. Edmunds. Boxed PASSED BY CENSOR no. 7151. Sent by F. Cooper, 338301.
Correspondence discovered Sept. 1991. In collection of M. Goodman.
3) Code A - 1st Mar. 1920 - Postcard to Lt. Soames, Railway Transport Office, B.A.O.R., Koln-Nippes. From Capt. W.E.Wells (?) Royal Fusiliers. Boxed PASSED BY CENSOR no. 7151. Ex-collection G.RJ. (Bob) Roberts. Sold at Cavendish Auction, Derby, early 1992.
4) Code B - 3rd Mar. 1920 - Postcard to Bury St. Edmunds. Boxed PASSED BY CENSOR no. 7151. From F. Cooper, 388301.
Correspondence discovered Sept. 1991. In collection of .1. Campbell.
5) Code A - 7th Mar. 1920 - Postcard to Yorkshire Insurance Co., London. Red Cachet:
ALLIED ADMIMSTRATWE COMMISSION, BRITISH SECT. MARIENWERDER, EAST PRUSSIA. Signature indecipherable.
London & Brighton Stamp Auctions, 21.10.83, lot 1158.
6) Code A - 7th Apr. 1920 - Postcard to Bury St. Edmunds. Boxed PASSED BY CENSOR no. 7151. From F.Cooper, 388301.
Correspondence discovered Sept. 1991. Purchaser unknown.
Danzig Report Vol. 1 - Nr. 80 - July - August - September - 1993, Page 5.
Copyright: 2021 Danzig.org