btn toggle

Gallery

Gallery » Danzig Report 74 - January, February, March 1992 » Ganzsachen Architecture --- Oliva

 

Ganzsachen Architecture --- Oliva

The Cathedral was built in the style of a Romanesque— Early Gothic basilica in the first half of the thirteenth century. It was enlarged in the second half of the 13th century, when the main structure was lengthened and heightened. During the 14th century, the details were rendered more Gothic. In 1577, the authorities of Danzig demolished the church and the monastery. In the course of its reconstruction in the 1580’s, the main nave and the transcept were prov ided a Late Gothic vault, and the presbytery was then painted in the polychromatic colors of the Renaissance. The last major reconstruction of the church took place in the year 1771, when it received a Rococo facade. The interior contains many valuable works of the Renaissance, as well as Baroque and Rococo art of the 16th and 17th centuries. In the rear of the main nave is the truly magnificent Rococo organ built by Jan Wuif of Orneta in 1763-1788. Mechanisms still move a series of figures holding musical instruments while the organ is played.

 

Danzig Report Vol. 1 - Nr. 74 - January - February - March - 1992, Page 5.


Hits: 2245

Added: 01/07/2015
Copyright: 2024 Danzig.org

Danzig